RC Drones

Free discussion forum or maybe you just want to say something.

RC Drones

Postby Festa_PWR » 09. Nov. 2015, 22:04

Howdy.

I`m not much of an RC person and i haven`t had an RC toy since I was about 12 (Tamiya 58618), so I`m about out of what is 'cool'.

My lad is now 10 and is showing an interest in RC drones, so we`re looking for one around the £50-£100 mark that would be durable enough for him to learn with, but decent enough to fly once he masters it.

I`ll be doing all kinds of Googling as well, but just wondered if there was anyone here well into RC that may have some things for me to watch out for or great places to buy such items?

Cheers
T7R|Festa_PWR - Triple7Racing
(Kris Vickers #47)
Festa_PWR

Re: RC Drones

Postby P1LOT » 09. Nov. 2015, 23:01

Hehe, I've had a few helicopters in my time!
Must be 12 years ago the first polystirene ones came out, 2 channel and rubbish.

Plastic 3 channel next, better to fly, a bit fragile.

Then quality metal ones came out, I have a 3 channel Syma S107. Easy to fly and very robust. It's had loads of bashes into walls and ceilings when my lad was 3, and only became in need of repair recently.

Got a metal 3.5 channel one (S800G), harder to fly but still fun. Also needs repair as it's got the 'toilet bowl' effect (fly down in a spiral while pointing the same way).

In the UK there's a bargain shop B&M Bargains, they've got a good selection and cheap as chips! I bought one that looks like a Seacobra
I even bought an Apache for the lad next door, 9 or 10 I think.
They're both very easy to fly. Other styles also available, all £15

All of these are infrared control, so indoors only really. Outside the sun will interfere with the signal and the slightest wind will upset their light weight.

I also bought a micro quadcopter at B&M bargains because it was so cheap, but that's a little bugger to fly.

On a visit to London and famous Hamley's toy shop, the family played on my holiday mood to to buy my lad a bigger quad copter. Cost £50, but is the most easy to fly of the lot because you don't have to concentrate on which way is pointing forward. Radio control also, so could be used outside if its calm.

They all generally require 40 minutes charging for 8 minutes flying. If they're cheap, get a couple

You can also get variations with cameras but the price goes up steeply and they're not live streaming. I've even seen helicopters with mini rubber missiles, and ones that squirt water, twin packs that shoot to disable each other. Make some helipads and have flying competions around the room.

You can also spend serious money to get proper outdoor ones, but I've only been an armchair pilot. :mrgreen:
P.S. In the last century I had a remote control airship, but too big to fly though doorways. New ones are smaller now.
T7R|P1LOT - Triple7Racing
(Gavin Burton #30)
P1LOT

Postby Festa_PWR » 09. Nov. 2015, 23:08

Cheers for that.

I think he`s more after a quad that heli style.

Ones I`ve seen so far that seem to fit the 'easy to fly indoors' that i`m after;

Syma X5C - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uDonroP4EA

Syma X4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3GaBkXhIn4

AirHogs Helix X4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMpE0H4tfzw

I know the vids are all by the same guy. I liked the review on the first one i looked at, so used him for consistency.
All the above were also cheaper than i was expecting.
(Kris Vickers #47)
Festa_PWR

Postby Festa_PWR » 21. Dec. 2015, 19:54

Forgot about this.

I ended up buying not a single one of the ones mentioned above lol.

When i asked him again about drones, he said he wanted one that was a drivable and you could fly it. So off to google i went.

I ended up buying this . . .

It`s only a cheapy thing, but it`s reviewed ok for its price range. It`s already arrived and has been wrapped. Should keep him quiet for a while!
(Kris Vickers #47)
Festa_PWR

Postby BBO » 22. Dec. 2015, 12:54

Cool it flys and can drive. I like it :D

I also try to find something year after year but usually forget about it
and whenever I search for drones and things like that (needs of course a cam onboard)
I end up looking at things that are way beyond my price limit but amazing for filming things.

Like this (oh btw that's my crazy sister climbing in that video - Hello Jasmine :mrgreen: )

phpBB [video]
T7R| BBO - Triple7Racing
(Bernd Weingart #21)
Watch your mirror ;-)
BBO
Site Admin

Postby Festa_PWR » 22. Dec. 2015, 17:29

At least that one was being used as it was intended.

Always the way when you get on a google dearch mission. You look at the realistic items you can afford, then you drift off into the mad world of mega-expense!
(Kris Vickers #47)
Festa_PWR

Postby BBO » 22. Dec. 2015, 18:04

Festa_PWR wrote:Always the way when you get on a google dearch mission. You look at the realistic items you can afford, then you drift off into the mad world of mega-expense!

Exactly :)
and whenever I look for some videos on youtube I end up watching high speed car chases or cops beating someone up or the usual russion crash compilations :D
T7R| BBO - Triple7Racing
(Bernd Weingart #21)
Watch your mirror ;-)
BBO
Site Admin

Postby Festa_PWR » 30. Dec. 2015, 14:30

The little SY X25 (the last picture in a previous post by me) is a great little drone for the price.

Only thing I don`t like, and is apparent with every RC vehicle at the moment, is the usage time vs charging time.

With this, it`s around 1.5 to 2 hour charge for 15-20 minute usage. I`m ordering him some more batteries so he can keep annoying the wife with it :mrgreen:

I`ve also had a go and think it`s a great little flyer. I didn`t realise, but I`d bought the variant with a camera so that was a bonus!

I also forget how quickly kids learn stuff these days, and now he`s been Xboxing for a few months now, his hand-eye on controllers is pretty good. After just a few flights, he`s flying it across the room and landing it on a laptop.

Me . . . I`m lucky if I keep it away from the walls or ceiling!
(Kris Vickers #47)
Festa_PWR

Return to Off Topic