Windows 10

Free discussion forum or maybe you just want to say something.

Re: Windows 10

Postby VTX » 18. Jan. 2016, 09:16

If the icon keeps getting back (because of windows update reinstalling), you can also disable it (the icon) with a small registry change:

Open up regedit.exe using the Start search or by hitting WIN + R and pasting it into the field. Then browse down to the following key, creating it if it doesn’t exist:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx

Once you are there, create a new 32-bit DWORD value on the right-hand side named DisableGwx, and give it a value of 1.
T7R|VTX - Triple7Racing
Barry Kostjens #45 - F3 T7R Championship 2016 - Team: Admins On Speed
VTX
Site Admin

Postby Strazen » 18. Jan. 2016, 19:52

BBO wrote:Festa_PWR wrote:
You can delete the nag for upgrading to Windows 10.

it`s a KB update that you can uninstall. Can`t remember the number but think it ends something like 3533.

It's KB3035583 or excatly "Update for Windows (KB3035583)" got it noted here while I had to use it so often
So you need to go to Windows Update and then Installed Updates to remove the patch
but you'll have to disable automatic updates too, else it's coming quickly back.

Festa_PWR wrote:BBO wrote:
but you'll have to disable automatic updates too, else it's coming quickly back.

If you have update set to remind you of updates but don`t download automatically, you can right click on the update and hide it so it doesn`t come back.

Not sure if you have this option if updates are set to automatic, as I have never had them set that way.

I have just done it this way thanks to a french website, which is the same procedure you explain. When you do this, Gwx automatically disappears from regedit.

As for hiding this update when you don't automatically install the updates but choose what to install (manually), it's in fact partially hidden. That is, the update in question is still marked in Windows Update but the checkbox becomes inactive so that you cannot tick it.

The only remaining issue now is in Control Panel > Windows Update homepage. Even after the reboot to finish uninstalling the update, there is still there the option to install Windows 10. There is the Microsoft logo with this "translation" from my Windows 7 laptop in french version: "Be up-to-date with Windows 10", and the button to install it: "Prise en main", which means with an approximate translation from me: "Get your hands on it". Just below, there is the button "Show all the available updates". I click on it and it redirects me to the important and optional updates list to install.

Beware, after you have done all the procedure and you are installing possible new updates, a new update for upgrading to Windows 10 shows up ! But it is much more recognizable as it describes precisely that this update is for updating to it, not a "dark" KB[...]. Just hide it like Festa_PWR told us and and it will make the checkbox inactive again, and after a reboot, I think, the hidden update should disappear completely from the list like what happened to the KB etc.
Strazen

Postby Three_Jump » 02. Feb. 2016, 18:42

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... etryLevels

The Security level gathers only telemetry info that’s required to keep Windows devices secure.

What does that even mean?

Windows Defender
Windows Defender requires some information to function, including: anti-malware signatures, diagnostic information, User Account Control settings, Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings, and IP address

UEFI settings?

Depending on your personal level of paranoia this could be summed up as: Even Enterprise users can't turn off the whole telemetry.
(At least I would expect them to clearly state what data is being sent exactly.)
Three_Jump

Postby VTX » 02. Feb. 2016, 19:12

NSA is tracking everyone anyway :lol: :lol:
T7R|VTX - Triple7Racing
Barry Kostjens #45 - F3 T7R Championship 2016 - Team: Admins On Speed
VTX
Site Admin

Postby Strazen » 10. Feb. 2016, 19:56

True, anyway we went too far to go backwards, like in the lyrics of Pharrell Williams' very famous song.

Windows 10 is very good and very customizable. I had paranoia about it too, and eventually upgraded every computer in the house.
Strazen

Previous

Return to Off Topic