P1LOT's never ending PC upgrade process

Something is not working? Need some help?

Re: P1LOT's never ending PC upgrade process

Postby BBO » 16. Nov. 2015, 01:03

Sweet and cheap here they want 60£ for a used one
Did you also have / ever tried the Hotas X? As was was thinking about it some time ago but never got my hands on it ;)
T7R| BBO - Triple7Racing
(Bernd Weingart #21)
Watch your mirror ;-)
BBO
Site Admin

Postby Festa_PWR » 16. Nov. 2015, 01:04

BBO wrote:Sweet and cheap here they want 60£ for a used one
Did you also have / ever tried the Hotas X? As was was thinking about it some time ago but never got my hands on it ;)

I`ve got a Hotas X from my IL-2 days. Great flight stick and never had any issues with it.
T7R|Festa_PWR - Triple7Racing
(Kris Vickers #47)
Festa_PWR

Postby BBO » 16. Nov. 2015, 01:06

Good to know Kris. (another thing that comes now on the wishlist :lol: )
T7R| BBO - Triple7Racing
(Bernd Weingart #21)
Watch your mirror ;-)
BBO
Site Admin

Postby P1LOT » 16. Nov. 2015, 11:04

Saitek do seem to do some very desirable HOTAS joysticks
X52, X52 Pro, and this X65

And so do Thrustmaster, HOTAS Warthog

Just don't ask the price
T7R|P1LOT - Triple7Racing
(Gavin Burton #30)
P1LOT

Postby P1LOT » 11. Jan. 2016, 11:22

Another year, another upgrade. :P
A kind i5 CPU gift from Fordman has given me quad core for the first time. Bought a new graphics card with Christmas money, XFX Radeon R9 380. Also bought a triple monitor stand, and a GTEYE brake spring for my Logitech G25 pedals – all fitted on Sunday.

The triple monitor stand allows me to easily swivel the screens from wheel centric to keyboard for other duties. It also means I can move the whole setup nearer the wheel.

The graphics card has let me improve the look in Assetto Corsa. I used to have pretty minimal settings for 40fps average. I’ve now maxed all the quality settings and it mostly kept to the max 75fps offline. My three screens are still not optimal for AC as AC can’t account for dissimilar screen resolutions, it expects three identical monitors only. That sort of ruins my plan for cheapness using 1x 24” and 2x 19”, but I’m not about to go spending any more for the moment. It still gives good immersion for racing although slightly misaligned at the side. Now the quality settings are improved I can see the trees look a bit rubbish at Donnington :lol:

The brake spring is a lot stiffer. I’m in danger of rolling back on my office chair, or pulling the wheel off the desk. Might need to chock me into position. Hopefully when I’ve got used to the harder pressure, it will improve my racing as it has done for others.
Attachments
DSCF8750a.jpg
(Gavin Burton #30)
P1LOT

Postby Festa_PWR » 06. Feb. 2016, 18:25

P1LOT wrote:Another year, another upgrade. :P
A kind i5 CPU gift from Fordman has given me quad core for the first time. Bought a new graphics card with Christmas money, XFX Radeon R9 380. Also bought a triple monitor stand, and a GTEYE brake spring for my Logitech G25 pedals – all fitted on Sunday.

The triple monitor stand allows me to easily swivel the screens from wheel centric to keyboard for other duties. It also means I can move the whole setup nearer the wheel.

The graphics card has let me improve the look in Assetto Corsa. I used to have pretty minimal settings for 40fps average. I’ve now maxed all the quality settings and it mostly kept to the max 75fps offline. My three screens are still not optimal for AC as AC can’t account for dissimilar screen resolutions, it expects three identical monitors only. That sort of ruins my plan for cheapness using 1x 24” and 2x 19”, but I’m not about to go spending any more for the moment. It still gives good immersion for racing although slightly misaligned at the side. Now the quality settings are improved I can see the trees look a bit rubbish at Donnington :lol:

The brake spring is a lot stiffer. I’m in danger of rolling back on my office chair, or pulling the wheel off the desk. Might need to chock me into position. Hopefully when I’ve got used to the harder pressure, it will improve my racing as it has done for others.

How`s all the new tech working out for you, now that you`ve done a few events since it was setup?
(Kris Vickers #47)
Festa_PWR

Postby Fordman » 06. Feb. 2016, 19:22

To sum that up Kris, he was an Alien, has always been an Alien, and now with my help, he is an even faster Alien.

Last time I supply upgrades to the team :lol:
Fordman

Postby Festa_PWR » 06. Feb. 2016, 20:09

Fordman wrote:To sum that up Kris, he was an Alien, has always been an Alien, and now with my help, he is an even faster Alien.

Last time I supply upgrades to the team :lol:

You can always take pleasure in knowing that he has fitted his Alfa badge 'a bit wonky'.
(Kris Vickers #47)
Festa_PWR

Postby P1LOT » 07. Feb. 2016, 22:53

I'm not alien, just happen to practice a bit to make me consistent.

The CPU and graphics card has made the experience a lot smoother. Nothing more annoying than trying to have close racing with screen updates like a flicker book. And obviously the increase in graphical detail is nice on the eye, now I see heat haze from the back of engines while waiting on the grid (they looked like SNES Mario Karts before). Basically my excuses for stuttering screen while cornering have evapourated, I'll need to think of some more.

The triple screen is great for the immersion, probably because there is more sense of speed with the FOV reduced. I notice at hairpins the side image doesn't scroll correct to the centre though

That Alfa bage has been pulled off so many times by my lad when he was a toddler :roll:

Cheers for asking :)
(Gavin Burton #30)
P1LOT

Postby Fordman » 07. Feb. 2016, 23:00

P1LOT wrote:That Alfa bage has been pulled off so many times by my lad when he was a toddler :roll:

And you have given him the prit-stick to stick is back on again :D
Fordman

PreviousNext

Return to Guides & Help