Building my new gaming PC

Something is not working? Need some help?

Building my new gaming PC

Postby BBO » 21. Nov. 2014, 19:09

At the moment I'm building my new gaming PC
and as I'm still waiting for my gfx card
I thought why not make (for the 1st time) a video (8 min.) of it (Benny Hill style of course :-P )

[vimeo]112507996[/vimeo]

Man that cpu cooler was the biggest thing I've ever put onto a motherboard. :lol:
Should have really read the manual but it's more fun to find out how it works without.
Only made a little mistake at the backplate didn't need that square piece (@2:40min.) but could remove it later without problems.

Components so far:

CPU (8 cores)
AMD FX Series FX-8350 8x 4.00GHz So.AM3+

CPU Cooler: (140mm fan)
Thermalright HR-02 Macho Tower special PC-Games-Hardware-Edition

RAM:
8GB Corsair Vengeance LP (Low profile) black DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9 Dual Kit

Mobo:
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 So.AM3+ Dual Channel DDR3 ATX

Still waiting for the
Gfx:
3072MB Asus Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16
(90YV0501-M0NA00) AMD Never Settle GOLD Space Edition (3 free games)

For the rest I will take my old PC case and SSD and HDDs and TFTs.
And if I feel crazy enough I'll post another vid :D
T7R| BBO - Triple7Racing
(Bernd Weingart #21)
Watch your mirror ;-)
BBO
Site Admin

Re: Building my new gaming PC

Postby Three_Jump » 23. Nov. 2014, 13:58

Any special reason for going AMD? I was under the impression that Intels performes much better while requiring less power? Or am I wrong here?
Three_Jump

Postby BBO » 23. Nov. 2014, 15:51

Three_Jump wrote:Any special reason for going AMD? I was under the impression that Intels performes much better while requiring less power? Or am I wrong here?

Special reason CPU: price
Special reason GFX: price, noise, heat
Performance: Intel is in some cases better but only slightly (depends on what you compare)
Less power consumption = Yes but I think only when you use your PC for more then 5 years then it's a good point for Intel.
But how realistic is that.

For me it was the overall price of the complete system that made me feel I'll stick with AMD.
I payed for the AMD CPU ~145,- Euro while the comparable Intel i5 3570K costs around 200 Euros.
Yes AMD needs slightly more power but the energy costs per year I calculated will be around 10,- to 15,- Euros higher for me.
If I'm wrong here I'll see that on my next electricity bill :lol:
So if I change my system again in 2 or 3 years then it's still ok with the price I payed now.

The AMD CPU has more L2 cache 8MB vs. 1MB and more L3 cache and is very overclocking happy and has a better overall performance per euro. Single core use is slower then with the intel and AMD is loosing all benchmarks when only using 1 core, but I want to use it mostly for gaming and maybe watch TV next to working on websites or downloading something where usually more then only one core ;) is in use. And there the AMD beats the intel in every more-core benchmark. But benchmarks are not everything.

I also decided to go for an AMD gfx card aswell. AMD gfx and AMD CPU should work good together and my last AMD card worked great (while I used Nvidia for the last 15 years or so). So the gfx card was another price vs. heat. vs. noise decision.
Radeon R9 280X ~225 Euros against a Nvidia GTX 770 which has less memory and shaders etc. but cost 350,- Euros when I started to look for it (now it's less I think). Anyway some benchmarks show the GTX has more fps here and there, while the AMD has more here and there but to be honest I don't really care if I get 83,3 or 76,9 fps in a specific game.
The card I took is the most quiet R9 280x card with it's DirectCU II cooling system. And noise (in idle and under full load and the heat too) was a really big criterium for me.

So all in all you can of course be happy with intel stuff aswell but for me it was like 40 Euros more here and 50 Euros more there and compared to the (for me) very little more performance here or there, I decided to spend less money. And to be honest I usually notice on new systems the overall more speed but not if I use 1.3 seconds or 1.2 seconds to open this or that or if my cpu or ram needs x.y nanoseconds more or less :)
But spending 50 or 100 or 150 Euros more that's a tangible result for me.

Sure you can go for really high end stuff but 1600,- Euros :shock: for a GeForce GTX Titan Z graphics-card or 400 Euros for a mainboard is out of my league and even if I was rich I wouldn't spent so much for it :roll:

Maybe I also got sometimes the AMD glasses on but for my bedroom HTPC client I used the Intel J1900 for the exact same reasons: overall system price, heat, power consumption ect. and because of your references too :)
T7R| BBO - Triple7Racing
(Bernd Weingart #21)
Watch your mirror ;-)
BBO
Site Admin

Postby Three_Jump » 23. Nov. 2014, 16:16

BBO wrote:Maybe I also got sometimes the AMD glasses on but for my bedroom HTPC client I used the Intel J1900 for the exact same reasons: overall system price, heat, power consumption ect. and because of your references too :)

That CPU sounds very familiar... Which board did you end up using? :)
Three_Jump

Postby BBO » 23. Nov. 2014, 22:20

Three_Jump wrote:That CPU sounds very familiar... Which board did you end up using? :)

The same. Check out the pics and vid ;)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=72&start=10#p571
T7R| BBO - Triple7Racing
(Bernd Weingart #21)
Watch your mirror ;-)
BBO
Site Admin

Return to Guides & Help